An Awakened or Enlightened One.
2. Lit., Thus who hath come.
3. Lit., the Worthy Ones. They are the enlightened disciples who
have destroyed all passions.
4. The Teaching.
5. The Discipline.
6. Bhikkhu Silacara
7. Craving associated with "Eternalism" (sassataditthi)
8. Craving associated with "Nihilism" (ucchedaditthi)
9. Culakamma Vibhanga Sutta Majjhima Nikaya, No. 135.
10. See "Many Mansions and The World Within" by Gina Cerminara.
11. C.E.M. Joad, The Meaning of Life
12. See Compendium of Philosophy, Tr. by Shwe Zan Aung (Pali Text
Society, London) Introduction p. 12.
13. Compare the cinematograph film where the individual photographs
give rise to a notion of movement.
14. Evidently the writer is referring to the state of an arahat
15. This introductory part may be omitted by non-Buddhists.
16. Here the term "I" is used in a conventional sense.
© 1982 Buddhist Publication Society
PO Box 61 54,
Sangharaja Mawatha Kandy, Sri Lanka